Re: buffer cache patches - anybody willing to summarize?

Alex Priem (alexp@sci.kun.nl)
Mon, 04 Aug 1997 21:59:09 +0200

Jeff Wiegley writes:

>I almost don't think driver updates are even appropriate at all for the
>2.0 tree. Security and fatal bug fixes *only*. other than that 2.0
>supports what it supports and you should wait for 2.2/3.0 to include new
>hardware support.

There is also another point of view: are my drivers still working in the
2.1/2.2 kernel? This seems to be a silly question, but there are _tons_ of
drivers out there written for 2.0 & 1.2 kernels, which are guaranteed to
break under 2.2. A `replacement scheme' similar to the
`put_fs_long -> put_user' transition for all other changes that affect
device drivers would be *very* useful and appreciated.

Regards, Alex (who has no working ieee488/gpib driver with 2.1, but
thinks a complete rewrite of that particular driver would
be easier than fixing the mess the original author
made of it. Main problem:documentation & chipset quirks..)