Re: Anyone working on 2.0.pre31-3?

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:03:36 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, eyal wrote:

> Hello ppl,
>
> Now that the storm is well over, is a pre31-3 being worked on? I see
> much activity
> and many patches go by but I think we should consolidate it all, if only
> to have
> a good base reference for further testing. As it is now, everyone uses a
> different
> patch set (or so I see in the articles on this list).

Wholeheartedly agreed. Since 2.0.31pre2, a couple of particularly nasty
bugs have been fixed, eg. the IPX one, and I know Bill/Werner et. al have
been working hard to remove potential deadlocks/oopses/mem leaks from the
currently iffy buffer cache/mm code.

The one thing that _really_ appals me though, is the lack of action
regarding the ext2 immutable flag bug-fix, as this bug comes under the
category of "security fix", where Linux is traditionally very fast at
producing fixes. And yes, before anyone whinges, I am aware the
"securelevel" isn't quite up to its task yet, due to not checking opening
of block devices, special char devices, loading modules etc.

Cheers,
Chris