Re: Schedulers

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 00:36:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Marcus B wrote:

> I don't know if it has been on this mail list before but I found a
> scheduler for linux that uses a Genetic Algorithm!
>
> http://www.iit.edu/~linjinl/esep.html

I've used it..I wasn't able to get it working on my SMP machine.. it's a
cute set of patches.. Maby there needs to be some work on adding
Schedulers via loadable module.. And of course a proc setting to pick
them with..

Then maby we should have a schduler shootout.. And maby come up with
Sc-NG for linux.. A little more intelgence would be great when the system
is under load.. And maby with a slightly differnt design the schduler
wouldn't cripple the system when the system has a zillion running
processes (The multiple que methods the QNX and EVE schdules use might
possibly run better with lots of processes)..

And someday we could have the dream of root being able to logon and fix a
system with a loadavg of 400.. :)