Re: PentiumII's.

System Email (sysmail@nebula.com)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:34:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Joel Philip Jaeggli wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, System Email wrote:
> >
> > > Does linux support PentiumII's (does it work?)
> > Certainly. We've got 2.0.30 running on two PentiumII 233's [1] here at
> > OGI. Kernel compiles in 3 minutes or so. :)
> > However, the Intel PD440FX motherboard's BIOS is absolutely horrendous,
> > and I was stuck for a couple weeks just banging out IRQ conflicts since
> > you can't manually assign them on a per-slot basis, and the BIOS was
> > handing out duplicates, which the aic7xxx driver didn't particularly like.
> > (I've since gotten patches...)
> >
> > Plenty fast, though. (:
>
> I was very pleased both with the performance and the behavior of my ami
> bios based tyan 1682d (dual pentium II) board. Of course the chipset is
> still the 440fx and can still only cache 512mb worth of memory but I don't
> think that's an issue for your average desktop machine in any event.. The
> 440gz which is supposed to push that number out to 768mb and include some
> other things like ultra-dma ide support is supposed to be out shortly I'm
> told. SDRAM suport would be nice but it doesn't seem to exist in any
> available ppro/pII chipset.

Is SDRAM differnt then ECC 168pin DIMMS? Because theres a asus board that
has 1DIMM slot.

Here is the machine I pondering putting together.

Matrox Millennium II 4Meg
9GB SCSI-3 UltraWide
ASUS KN97-X MotherBoard w/ sound
Pentium II 300mhz w/512k
Adaptech 2940 SCSI-3 Ultrawide adaptor
128MB ECC DIMM

This board only has one dimm slot. But I think 128megs of ram will for for
now.