Re: glibc 2, Linux 2.x and the world of many patches!

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:49:59 -0600 (MDT)

On 30 Jul 1997, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> Tuenis> Though adoption will have to be MUCH higher before any of
> Tuenis> the linux-distribs actively go with glibc... and this will
> Tuenis> hurt glibc in the short run.
>
> mdh> Uh ... er ... I don't know how to break this to you ... but
> mdh> the Debian development tree is based on glibc. Applications
> mdh> are being ported faster than you can shake a stick. It's not
> mdh> very hard ... even I've ported a few, and believe me, if I
> mdh> can do it, anyone can do it.
>
> Yep, Michael is exactly right. Debian 2.0 will be fully glibc. I'm the
> maintainer of nethack, The GIMP, and sirc, and they've all been
> compiled just fine under glibc. The only bugs I've run into are people
> not doing a #include <errno.h> when they really should :)

<g>. Don't ferget misspelled and mistyped 'sys_errlist[]'... <sigh>.
Just include <stdio.h>, eh? [though both variants are wrapped in __USE_BSD
or __USE_GNU so <hrmmm>] (_sys_errlist == GNU, sys_errlist == BSD)

> About half of all of the Debian packages, I believe, have been
> converted to glibc.

And I've heard that RedHat is as well, which seems to cover the really
visible distribs. GOOD! (so no more linux-1.2 -> linux-2.0 type jumps!)

Well - I _DID_ come into the glibc-usage quite late (2.0.4 just
appeared)... So perhaps all that time was used productively, yes? <g>
I was just pretty frustrated at having to fix everything I use every day
(svgalib, ipfwadm, net-tools*, pppd [which I don't need anymore :],
pthreads, samba, all my mod players <sanity> ....)
: apparently net-tools, pppd, ipfwadm have been fixed <G>.
: pthreads should be obvious :) - it's built-in!
: samba? is there a new samba yet?

Hey - maybe pthreads and svgalib will coexist finally! <nah...>

And before anyone screams 'This has nothing to do with linux devel' just
remember that this list is for linux-kernel probs too... which are
frequently in userspace. And the libc's are used pretty close to
universally as userspace<->kernelspace link.

G'day all!
- Teunis