Re: undelete?

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:48:11 -0400

From: "Andrew E. Mileski" <aem@netcom.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 01:16:25 -0400 (EDT)

> Last I tried to recompile defrag-0.6, it didn't like the vaguely-modern
> kernel includes...I think I sent the ext2 Lord High Guru and Fixer some
> email, but never got anything back. *shrug* Anyway, I didn't see a
> binary at the time, but the compile errors were about struct members
> that went away, so I'm not surprised that your binary fell to software
> rot...

Hmmm...I think Ted T'so has indicated in the past what the necessary fixes
are. I seem to recall he even responded to an e-mail of mine, and explained
what needed to be done [which I've completely forgotten].

Thanks for the support; the main reason why I haven't re-released defrag
0.6 with the appropriate fixes is that I don't maintain it. The "big
red fire truck driver" for that package is Stephen Tweedie, and I've
been reluctant to simply incorporate it into e2fsprogs without his
consent. (A similar issue exists with dump, which also needs some
changes to work with the latest e2fsprogs; that package is maintained by
Remy.)

As far as not responding to e-mail, please understand that I get around
800-1200 pieces of e-mail a day, or approximately (1.5 megabytes/day).
I try to respond to as many as I can, but I don't work on Linux
full-time, and every once in a while I actually have to earn my daily
bread....

(Similar issues exist with nearly all of the kernel developers --- and
indeed most Linux developers in general.)

- Ted