Re: [patch] QNX-style scheduling for Linux 2.0

John Kodis (kodis@jagunet.com)
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 10:23:11 -0400

On Sun, Jul 27, 1997 at 09:46:57AM -0400, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> Just a suggestion, but the name "QNX" is almost certainly a registered
> trademark, and I suspect that the scheduling algorithm may be protected by
> patent. You might be wise to tread carefully when claiming that your
> kernel patches implement QNX-anything.

The name is probably protected, but I doubt that the algorithm is. If
it hadn't been described as the QNX scheduler, I'd swear that it was
lifted straight out of VMS. Since the technique has been around at
least as long as VMS has, even if it were patented, the patent should
have expired by now.

A new name is in order, though, just to avoid annoying any trademark
holders (annoying the marketing folks that is, as the techies who
developed the techniques would more likely be flattered at their ideas
being adopted). I'd think that the names "Queue Number X" and
"Versatile Multiqueued Scheduler" are both out-of-bounds, but that
still leaves a lot of names up for grabs.

-- John Kodis.