Re: undelete?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 13:56:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> I've though about this a couple of times, and I think it's not that
> hard. You just divide each file into chunks of (say) 4Kb. You then
> compress that 4Kb block. If it becomes 1Kb, great, you put it in the
> first block of 4, and the other 3 blocks are empty. Since empty
> blocks do not take up disk space (holes), that's no problem.

The problem is that you don't get a good compression ratio if your
filesize (block size in this case) is too small. And you're going to
waste lots of blocks due to just a few bytes being used. That's not
something you like when you're designing stuff to conserve space...

Roger.