Re: Problem booting on latest Compaq

Philippe Strauss (philou@lili.urbanet.ch)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:17:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Alan Cox wrote:

> > (starting from where the computer auto-rebooted on startup) rebuilding,
> > rebooting the Compaq from floppy, and so on, being able to narrow down to
> > this init_bh.
>
> Does the machine boot all the way with that init_bh() missing.

Yeap. I'have just compiled a fairly functional kernel, it boot fine.
I'dont have yet created a debian bootdisk, put this kernel boot
the aic78xx driver, detect scsi drives et al fine. It hangs naturally
on mounting the root filesystem, since there's no ext2 fs in here, just
a 24MB partition for the compaq setup crap (how passionately i hate
them, spending 24MB of disk space for a wonderfull win31 gui which let's
you configure nada about your chipset.. And you need double reboot to
access it, and the adaptec bios is pure crap too, you have to wait 1
minute before beginning the boot process each time. perfect for doing
a server, yeahh minimizing services outage. OK they sell it has a
desktop system. Otherwise, i think a PII 266 will do a nice compile
machine :).

> > init_bh. This macro seem really simple and doesn't mess in any way with
> > registers of the keyboard controller, or irq etc..
>
> It means the keyboard_bh() can get called. This could be something bozo
> like your keyboard immediately sends a first interrupt and the code setup
> order isnt right. Try this
>
> cli();
> init_bh(....)
> prink("See it wasn't init_bh\n");
> sti();
> printk("Hey wait a minute .....\n");

It does what i think you expected. I can see the two printks, but
it's still an InstaReboot(TM) kernel :)

On a side note: Those compaq are shipped with a brend new idea which
is a revolution in the computer industry. It's called easy erase or
somethink like that. No, it's not about the content of your harddisk, but
about the space touch of the kbd. It's splited in two keys. You can assign
in the setup, what each halves does. You can assign "space|space,
backspace|space, space|backspace". I tried all three, doesn't change
anything, but i will try too boot with a normal keyboard monday.

--
Philippe Strauss <philou@lili.urbanet.ch>

Homepage & PGP key: http://lili.urbanet.ch

"Error 304 -- keyboard not found Press F1 to boot F10 for computer setup"

Compaq Deskpro Bios'es