Re: Segmentation fault!

Kevin M. Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:01:29 -0400

Tim Hollebeek wrote:
>Sachin Garg writes ...
>>
>> Also, many times netscape exits with a "bus error".
>
>Unfortunately, that's "normal" for netscape. Not as noticeable on Windows,
>where the OS crashes almost as often as the apps that run under it.

>Tim Hollebeek | Disclaimer :=> Everything above is a true statement,
>Electron Psychologist | for sufficiently false values of true.
>Princeton University | email: tim@wfn-shop.princeton.edu
>----------------------| http://wfn-shop.princeton.edu/~tim (NEW! IMPROVED!)

What does a bus error exactly refer to on an intel type machine? I
thought bus errors referred strictly to "unaligned memory access"
(fetching words on halfword boundaries et al), which I understood to
be slow-but-legal on intel hardware.

--kmb203@psu.edu----------------Debian/GNU--1.3---Linux--2.0.30---
THE LESSER-KNOWN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES #12: LITHP
This otherwise unremarkable language is distinguished by the
absence of an "S" in its character set; users must substitute
"TH". LITHP is said to be useful in protheththing lithtth.