Re: Compile error under 2.1.46

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:42:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Harald Koenig wrote:

> On Jul 23, Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> > While this is true, the real answer is that libc5 should include its
> > own kernel headers that are seperate from the kernel. User space
> > applications should never use kernel headers anyway. If they absolutly
> > _must_ include a kernel header, they should have their own copy
> > instead of relying on the kernel header. (Debian already does this BTW)
>
> having own copies of kernel header files is a very *bad* idea IMHO.

I agree.

> either I have to add tons of #if this_kernel_vesion etc. or I have to
> change [many?] application sources if the kernel header files change
> (e.g. one more entry in a structure...)

They are not talking about application sources, but the libc stuff.
They want to allow people to compile stuff without installing the
kernel.

I think that using the kernel includes for applications is a good
thing. This way, you are guaranteed consistency between applications
and the kernel. Yes, the kernel developers know that changing a header
file that applications use too, would require the applications to be
recompiled. So these changes are not applied to lightly.

If you have a separate include file, that would also have to be made
in-sync with the kernel to be able to compile the application. More
work. And harder to find!

Roger.