Re: Compile error under 2.1.46

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:43:52 +0200

On Jul 23, Erik Andersen wrote:

> While this is true, the real answer is that libc5 should include its
> own kernel headers that are seperate from the kernel. User space
> applications should never use kernel headers anyway. If they absolutly
> _must_ include a kernel header, they should have their own copy
> instead of relying on the kernel header. (Debian already does this BTW)

having own copies of kernel header files is a very *bad* idea IMHO.

either I have to add tons of #if this_kernel_vesion etc. or I have to
change [many?] application sources if the kernel header files change
(e.g. one more entry in a structure...)

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\