Re: freepages in proc doesn't work right.

Kevin M. Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 18:07:06 -0400

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> "Kevin M. Bealer" <kmb203@psu.edu> writes:
>>
>> (quote from strace sh):
>> write(1, "1", 1) = 1
>> write(1, " 2", 2) = 2
>> write(1, " 3", 2) = 2
>> write(1, "\n", 1)
>>
>On my system (glibc, I'm afraid... maybe that has something to do with it)
>both bash 1.14.7 and 2.01.0 coalesce the arguments into one write() call.
>
>Which shell is that sh above? minimal-bash? zsh? ksh?
>
>> From a "principle of least surprise" I would say bash and the kernel
>> are both borderline here. Bash should buffer a -little- more and the
>It does... as far as I can see from here.
>
>> kernel should be a -little- more tolerant on this policy if possible.
>Right.

bash is being executed as /bin/bash from a root login.

bash --version shows:

GNU bash, version 2.00.0(1)-release (i586-debian-linux)

"It came in the box with the rest of the stuff."

Running bash as /bin/sh doesn't help, but "zsh" and "tcsh" both work
fine. This is on 2.0.30.

--kmb203@psu.edu----------------Debian/GNU--1.3---Linux--2.0.30---
*Don't* background it, just sit there looking at it. Tell
everyone "I'll get back to you as soon as this here job is
finished". Very relaxing.

-- Lars P. Fischer