Re: Kernel-user application/deamon communication

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:52:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Yusuf Motiwala wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm writing a application for which I require kernel to send/read some
> information to/from application. Since, the situation is that kernel
> initiate the communication with the application whenever it requires and
> hence I can not use ioctl function call. Can any kernel guru give me some
> hint/idea ?
>
> any help would be appreciated,

I would use the kerneld API to start the application. The application
would come back and open some file and use read/write/ioctl to manage
request from your application. The function to use is called ksystem()
defined in kerneld.h

static inline int ksystem(const char *cmd, int waitflag)

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf
new development: linuxconf configure dhcpd since 1.9r7