Re: Kernel cpu selection + other platforms?

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:01:29 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Mike Jagdis wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Teunis Peters wrote:
>
> > That's EXACTLY what I had in mind!
> > [I don't know much about non-intel processors either but browsing the
> > kernel source hasn't helped me figure out how to compile or run one of
> > them]
>
> It wouldn't. They're clones. You treat them like the equivalent
> Intel part they are compatible with unless you know better. That's
> the whole point of them! :-)

Tell that to Alpha or PowerPC or MIPS or 68K....

DON'T assume all non-intel chips are intel clones!!!!!!!!

I for one wouldn't insult users of, say, Alphas by calling their chips
intel clones....

> > .. I also thought CPU-specific optimizations[/dangerous bugfixes] should
> > be present too.... when needed. Obviously things like 'detect/correct
> > Pentium [pick your CPU] math bug' could always be present for x86....
>
> Been there. Done it. At run time rather than compile time though.
> No, it isn't in the kernel yet - but the patch is out there.

There are patches/bugfixes/changes that can only be present at
compile-time. These are things that drastically change a lot of different
hardcoded items in the kernel.

Wind to your wings
- Teunis