Re: I2O, free software

Mike Kilburn (mike@conexio.co.za)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:29:16 +0200 (SAT)

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) wrote:

> It goes like this
> Hello we'd like to write I2O support for Linux
> $5000/yr please
> [assuming we find it]
> Binary only, can't reveal its workings to end users, non members,
> and if you leave you must stop shipping the I2O support
>
> so for Linux this is a problem

But there is an upside. Once the binary only module for I2O is done
for the kernel side, all cards are supported by the vendor (indirectly)
automagiclly and no drivers need to be written. Linux will then have
the same quality of drivers as other OS's. Not that thats better in all cases
but for the case of Adaptec 2940 (for example) the vendor supplied drivers are better
than what is available for Linux. If Linux could somehow live/work with this
one exception to the GPL then I2O could be a big win in terms of hardware
support.