Re: Kernel cpu selection + other platforms?

Marcus Berglund (ozmabs@hotmail.com)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:01:52 PDT

>On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Richard A. Soderberg wrote:
>
>> Well, with this, we could make an entire Processor toplevel category,
then
>> categorize it by something arbitrary (x86, DEC, whatever)... under
x86, put:

>> Intel, AMD, IBM, Cyrix. or 386, 486, Pentium, PPro, PII.
>>
>> Then list each processor for that company and it's associated
optimizations
>> and/or bugfixes... I'm not dealing with non-intel processors just
yet..
>> Don't know enough about them.
>
>Why? It is pretty easy to recognise all x86 varieties (other than the
>early 486 clones) at run time and simply Do The Right Thing without
>asking the user daft questions about whether they have microcode
>bug #564 or working frozzle optimizations. Most users won't even
>know what is under their CPU fan never mind what the hell you're
>talking about!
>
> Mike

Maybe we should start splitting the kernel into two configurations,
Simple End User (there is a group with this name), and Advanced user,
this way everyone gets what they want (well mostly).