Re: umount/mount uses old cache data in 2.1.46

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:18:23 +0200

On Jul 21, Torsten Hentschel wrote:

> There seems to exist a problem with the filesystem-cache.
> I could reproduce it, when doing the following procedure:
>
> mke2fs -i 1024 /dev/sda13

looks like /dev/sda13 is still mounted on /var/spool/news when typing this, right ?
that's BAD! never run e2fsck or mke2fs or similar on mouted partitions...

> umount /var/spool/news # formerly /dev/sda11
> ls /var/spool/news # - empty
> mount -t ext2 /dev/sda13 /var/spool/news
> ls /var/spool/news # - shows nearly all of the old
> # directories; some as files some intact
>
> Are not all of the corresponding cache pages invalidated
> when umounting?

flushed! not invalidated... (you don't want to loose data when unmounting, do you?)

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\