Re: Linux Kernel Bug-list Website

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:44:32 -0400

Lai Zit Seng <lzs@pobox.com> said:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Marcus B wrote:

> > 3. Bug-fixes will stay on the site for apron. 7 days, is this long
> > enough? or can it be shorter?

> I suggest that they be around for as long until it is merged into a new
> kernel patch, and then a bit more (just for those people who don't want to
> jump to the latest kernel patch for whatever reasons).

> > 4. Should the fixes be kept on the site?

> I think that should be a good idea. If people read about the fix on this
> site, then they should also be able to get the fix from the same site.

There are bugfixes and random patches at <http://www.linuxhq.com>
allready. The Debian crowd has a bug reporting system going for years
now. Why do it again, and not just try to link together what is out there?

The big problem I see is who gets to certify that (a) the bug is real, not
some misconfiguration or user error, and (b) check that it really _is_
fixed by some patch or a new release.

I'd also note that the problems to solve are fundamentally different for
even/odd kernels: Stable kernels are _supposed_ to be "bug free", releases
last a _long_ time; development kernel releases are, umh..., "featureful"
and last a couple of days.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl