Re: IDE CD drivers vs SCSI CD driver

B. Chow (bc3c@q.res.cmu.edu)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 05:35:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> B. Chow enscribed thusly:
>
> > This is just a little inconsistency.
>
> > I have a CD that somebody burned for me, and it's possible that it was not
> > correctly written. However, the Linux SCSI driver and MSDOS seem to be
> > able to read the CD fine. The Linux ATAPI CD driver pukes and gags at the
> > CD and complains about the iso9660 fs on the disk to be incorrect. Any
> > ideas why this is happening?
>
> Two possibilities...
>
> 1) What color is the CD. (Yes, I said what color).

Yeah, I thought about this. This is more bizzare: the CD is a
gold-colored one manufactured by KAO. Before anyone says yes! media
problem!, this is weird: the SCSI 1x (by Sony) drive I have is the older
one, and reads the CD fine. The IDE drive is the
much newer drive, some 10x or something by Acer (I don't know who built
it). It could be possible, but maybe 10x drives can't read CDR media
properly? (it was written in a JVC 2x writer)

> 2) Data padding...
I have a feeling this is more likely the problem. My CD may have been
burned with short 0 gaps, and the IDE driver is picking up garbage.

Oh well, looks like net copy from the 1x SCSI to the HD to install
linux... or time to try to look at the cdrom driver code and see if it
really is causing the trouble...

-bc

[more symptoms:
- Refuses to read long directories, one that have more than some number of
files]
(I'll have to try the CD again to see what the error it gives when reading
these directories...hmm)