Re: Linux Kernel Bug-list Website

Jeff Wiegley (wiegley@usc.edu)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 10:11:05 -0700

I don't consider myself a decent kernel hacker so take anything I say
here with
a grain of salt...

Marcus B wrote:

> I have all of the preliminary stuff done, but I would like to have
> some
> questions about bug fixes:
> 1. After a bug has been fixed and published on the site, Where does it
>
> go then?

I think that it should be sent to Linus and/or Dave Miller so that it
can be scheduled to beincluded in an upcoming kernel release.

If the bug had to do with a device driver as well then it should also be
sent to the developer
or maintainer of that driver. For drivers like these the report probably
shouldn't be sent to
Linus/Dave since the developer should have a chance to review the bug
report and then
submit it to them himself.

> 2. Who will notify me if the bug-fix is official enough to take the
> bug
> report off the site?

I think bug-fixes should go through a beta period where people can try
them out and then,
if the bug fix doesn't work as advertised, we can mark the fix as not
100%.

> 3. Bug-fixes will stay on the site for apron. 7 days, is this long
> enough? or can it be shorter?

I think it should be longer. I'ld like to see all the bug-fixes
archived permanently, maybe sorted by
the kernel version(s) that have the bug.

right now I have no idea where to go for the multitude of patches that
are floating around for 2.0.30,
let alone trying to find the patches that floated around for 1.2.12.

> 4. Should the fixes be kept on the site?

ooops, hadn't read far enough appearantly. Yes. The fixes should be
kept on the site. That way when
anybody asks "Where I can find patch..." we can have one unified URL
answer.

In addition to bug-fixes I think we should have a seperate area for
archiving and distributing any type
of kernel patch. There are a lot of specific use patches for the kernels
and they too are not always
easy to find. So there should be a place for them on the bug-fix/patch
site.

> 5. Should the fixes be published somewhere else as well?

I don't really see a need for permanent publication elsewhere.
Especially if the patches are archivedthere permanently. Mirror sites
could be considered, but mirroring is more of an ftp thing in my mind.

It might be a good idea to post 100% bug-fixes, as determined after the
beta stage, to c.o.l.a. and
linux-kernel.

> I would like to know the answers ASAP so the site can go up, ASAP.
> Also if anyone thinks of any other questions I should be asking,
> please
> inform me, and ANSWER them if possible
> --
> Segment Fault (Windows Dumped)