Re: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software? (fwd)

Victor Yodaiken (yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 05:59:50 -0600

On Jul 20, 8:13am, Rogier Wolff wrote:
Subject: Re: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software? (fwd)
>Low interrupt latency? Yes! The I960CA can be executing instructions
>from your interrupt routine (NMI) about 100ns after the interrupt line
>goes active.

But if the 960 is simply running the i2o or similar i/o subsystem,
the latency between the interrupt assertion and a useful response
may increase greatly --- not to mention that the 960 will be running
a MS written mini-os that may not be exceptionally speedy.

Since it is obvious that MS wants to move into RT control, I wonder
how their RT strategy will deal with these "intelligent" i/o subsystems.
In particular, they have a source license to Radisys to do something that
seems similar to RT-Linux using IRMX as the rt kernel (the
info releases from Radisys are vague on what they are exactly doing).