Re: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software? (fwd)

Michael Neuffer (neuffer@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de)
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 17:29:12 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Systemkennung Linux wrote:
> Trying to look at things from the positve side - one of the I2O design
> goals is to reduce the effort spent into drivers. The free software
> community is much more limited in what we can invest into drivers. If
> we can hold of the I2O specs it might well be an advantage for us. And
> I have no doubt that we will support I2O even if the specs should be
> ultrasecret - burn before read. Aside the switch to I2O will take a
> long time. If I look at highlevel interfaces like those in DPT SCSI
> hostadapters then I suppose those products as well as many others will
> need significant restructuring and time to support I2O optimally.
> Time we can use.

DPT is actually one of the few companies that is already sending hardware
with I2O support to developers. I2O is still under development and so is
the OS on the controllers (at least that was the state a few months ago).

Mike