Re: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software?

Peter Nagy (tegla@katalin.csoma.elte.hu)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 18:22:08 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> Oh. In europe our laws are pretty clear about this. No matter what the
> licence is that that comes with the product, you have the right to
> reverse engineer the product for the purpose of making something
> compatible with the product.
>
> Note that you may not be allowed to reverse engineer for the purpose
> of making a cometing product.

You are allowed to reverse engineer the product, write an interface
docs AND make it public. And anyone else is free to make a competing
product based solely on the docs.

tegla