Re: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:51:27 +0200 (MET DST)

Tethys wrote:

> >> I suspect that if i2o peripherals become popular, free operating systems
> >> will be locked out from running on PC hardware.
> >
> >I've got 2 words for this (if it's true): REVERSE ENGINEER.
> >It's been done before, and it'll be done again...
>
> Depending on what you're reverse engineering, it may also be illegal.
> However, you should be able to apply dirty/clean room techniques to
> it to achieve the same effect.

Oh. In europe our laws are pretty clear about this. No matter what the
licence is that that comes with the product, you have the right to
reverse engineer the product for the purpose of making something
compatible with the product.

Note that you may not be allowed to reverse engineer for the purpose
of making a cometing product.

Roger.