Re: Kernel cpu selection

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:24:26 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:

> Coming up in the kernel, I think the whole chip definition section should
> be overhauled into some type of sassy multi-selection deal.

This is excessive. You don't need this level of detail and putting
processor options into config rather than looking at the processor
type at run time makes portable kernel images tricky. Anyway my
non-Intel patch does something along these lines.

> > problems running a K5 with the option set to Pentium, but this is because
> > the K5 is 486 technology I believe. Does anyone have any definitive
> > information on this?
>
> Bzzzt. ;-)
> I know that stepping 1 (I think?) had a bug where a bit of the MSR information
> was swapped (I think it was discussed here too)..

Yes, the K5 model 0 had a couple of swapped bits in the cpuid flags.
The non-Intel patch swaps them back. One of the affected flags was
the global page flag - and global pages are used in newer 2.1 kernels
if available.

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |