Re: 2.0.31 : please!

Jes Degn Soerensen (jds@kom.auc.dk)
18 Jul 1997 09:36:35 +0200

Jon> On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
>> You're assuming that people will use the the beta versions.
>> (Instead of being spoiled brats who don't do anything and just
>> complain, complain, commplain.....) We already have the
>> 2.0.30-pre2 release; if people don't test it with the name
>> 2.0.30-pre2, will changing the name help?

Jon> 2.0.30-pre2 is not in the "expected" place in the kernel mirrors.
Jon> Unless people know to look in the davem dir or on vger, they
Jon> won't find it. Those who just look in kernel/v2.0 to find the
Jon> "latest stable" kernel won't know about it. Maybe it should be
Jon> moved into kernel/v2.0 or at least the LATEST-IS-2.0.30 could be
Jon> traded for LATEST-IS-2.0.31-pre2.

Ok it may be a bit hard to find, but this is not such a bad thing
after all. `pre' kernels are test kernels and people should never get
the assumption that they are official releases. There are more than
2000 subscribers to linux-kernel, this should be a reasonable test
base if we also consider that these people do not just shut their
mouth and try to keep things a secret.

Changing the `LATEST-IS' is message is _not_ an option since it is the
same as renaming the pre kernel to 2.0.31 and make it a new official
release.

Isn't it about time to end this thread - lets get back to work.

Jes