Re: Take A deep Breath

Victor Yodaiken (yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 07:20:57 -0600

On Jul 15, 11:23pm, "Andrew E. Mileski" wrote:
Subject: Re: Take A deep Breath
>I agree, but the response from certain Linux developers is that
>"the source code is self documenting". Ya right. None of the
>kernel source code would pass a review at any company I know of,
>or even be accepted as a college/university assignment.

As a current university professor and one-time manager of programmers
I have to disagree on both counts.

>Linus refuses to impose strict style and documenting practices.
>I understand his views on these, but I don't agree with them.

But Linus has managed development of a working kernel and you have not.
Better (or even some) documentation of kernel design decisions would
be wonderful. They are obviously not essential for the development.
You could, demonstrate the correctness of your views by generating some
good documentation and showing the good effects of this documentation
on the system. I look forward to seeing your results.