Re: Take A deep Breath - Kernel Documentation

Jauder Ho (jauderho@carumba.com)
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 14:16:33 -0700 (PDT)

how about we model it after perldoc or javadoc? perldoc especially
seems to work pretty well. I am sure that we can adapt it to fit our
purposes without too much pain.

--Jauder

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Dietmar Kling wrote:

> > do you mean something like javadoc? you run the source thourough
> > and it makes doumentation?
>
> No, i think it's not good to have the source full of comments (they _are_ useful, agreed!) , there should be some kind of outside documentation.
>
> Sure a author of a piece of code knows best (really? :) ) what he did. But in the way
> the linux kernel was developed , share the work.
>
> It's hard job to write a good documentation, so we need people, which document parts
> of the kernel (remember kernel hackers don't do their work in 5 minutes, so we should
> not load them with the bury to write a _good_ documentation, which takes
> twice the time (or more) )
>
> But,
>
> 1. WE NEED A KIND OF STYLE GUIDE FOR DOCUMENTATION!
> 2. DOCUMENTATION WRITERS MUST FOLLOW THE STYLE GUIDE!
> 3. WE NEED A KIND OF STYLE GUIDE FOR DOCUMENTATION!
>
> Nothing is more annoying than switching from a ext2 documentation to a vfat documentation
> and you have to guess one hour ( ;) ) how the document is structured and where to find
> what you need...
>
> Dietmar

.sig under construction