Re: Feature for sysrq.

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:46:06 -0400 (EDT)

Myrdraal (myrdraal@jackalz.dyn.ml.org) writes:

> I was just thinking, it would be very nice if there was a function
> in in the magic SysRq that would reset the videomode to plain 80x25
> in case it gets trashed by some program (like an X server, or
> svgalib program) At the moment, if anyone wonders, there IS a way
> to reset the videomode... Run dosemu with -A and no floppy, when
> it resets the screen, kill it with alt-sysrq-A, and you have your
> 80x25 textmode back. Works for me.

Let us know what that nice video card is. When an SVGAlib program
(or the X server) crashes here, my Cirrus video card locks up so
hard that not even a warm reboot with the reset button will fix it.
I can even blind boot NT and let the drivers switch from wiggly
red and blue boxes to pure black. Only the power switch fixes it.

The _only_ solution is kernel video. X is easy to crash, which
makes an easy denial of service attack. This isn't the HURD you
know. See http://synergy.caltech.edu/~ggi/ for such a fix.