Re: 2.0.31 : please!

edgy (edgy@alliedtours.com)
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:19:22 -0500 (EDT)

A little success story about Linux, and my amazement that people are such
dolts around here:

Speaking of Linux and this thread, I originally concieved of the idea to
set up Allied Tours with Linux for its web serving. Now it has evolved
into handling E-mail, running DOS jobs remotely, making automatic PPP
connections, being a PPP server, and this all from one place, with
uptimes easily reaching 70 days and more.

One of my former supervisors was surprised that all this was free, and
could do better than anything they could buy commercially. He said
(sarcastically, I suppose), that Linux will find the cure to Cancer. It
was easy to convince someone that Linux was the obvious choice when it
showed its reliability and power on relatively inexpensive PC hardware.

Linux went along far to be able to do this, and more. Everyone deserves a
pat on the back. It just needs to be 3000 times better than NT for
anyone to notice, though, since Micro$oft has the minds of the masses.
It's getting there, though. :-)

What everyone has to remember, especially those dolts that worry only
about pushing these developers that have their own lives and are donating
some time to furthering this cause, is that FREE software only works
because people who use it feel that they want to give something back.
People work on this software, not just for the fun and challenge of it,
but to contribute something where they and everyone else just takes.

**
Businesses that use Linux have a bottom line. They want a stable
operating system. The people who concieved of the idea to put Linux there
feel compelled to make it work right, so that Windows NT bigots won't have
any leg to stand on. Those companies and the people working there need
to realize that Linux works on a different economy than NT. If there is
a problem that they want fixed in Linux, the source code is available.
You are free to modify it. You're not at the mercy of kernel developers,
or a big company who might or might not decide that your problem is
significant. If there's a problem, hire someone to fix the kernel, and
then release the code back to everyone else, and give a little back for
all the free software you have available.

At any rate, it's hard for some to adjust to the difference between FREE
and commercial software. Free is much better, and not because you don't
have to pay for it. It's because the source code is there; you have the
freedom to do as you wish with it. It's the ultimate open system.

So, shut up, stop whining people. Linux is going places, but these
developers aren't being paid. They have lives, they need to earn their
bread and shelter. If you want to see hardware supported, buy them that
hardware, and let them make the driver. If you want to see a certain part
of hte kernel worked on, pay them the going rate for programmers, and that
part will get fixed up quick. Or if you're real adventurous, fix it
yourself. :-) Or hire a programmer. :-)

Or if you're happy to watch the blur of linux-kernel go by as you look in
amazement at the rate at which things are going, and are happy to see new
kernel patches, and see things fixed, like me, then just let things go
and enjoy the free software.

I only wish I could contribute more. I just don't know enough about
programming to do much.

Ben