Re: SCSI disk naming

Harald Milz (hm@seneca.muc.de)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:23:00 +0200

Patrick St. Jean (psj@cgmlarson.com) wrote:
> writing this. It seems to me that it would be a Good Thing to have
> something like /dev/sd0a (scsi disk, id 0, first partition). Then if a
> disk gets removed for whatever reason, there are no worries.

This was discussed here a couple of weeks ago. The bottomline was
that eventually we will have something like the Solaris naming scheme
(also containing the LUN!), mapping the old names by means of links.

Heck, and we need support for more than 16 SCSI disks. I am going to test
the IBM #7190 SSA-to-SCSI converter (a.k.a. Vicom box) with Linux soon to
get Linux into the official compatibility list used by IBM sales, and
I am currently limited to attaching 14 9.1 Gig SSA disks because my
machine has already 2 internal SCSI disks. /&%$§&%