Re: ECC DRAM

Mikael Nykvist (viper@nova.campus.luth.se)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:47:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> And serious systems do have ECC, has anybody written anything for Linux ?
>
> It's useful to report this type of error to monitor memory health.
> I know that Intel chipsets (except 450) are crap, but I would like to
> have ECC error reporting for some critical applications here. I plan to
> write something, but it won't be for Intel.

Almost all Alpha systems (from the $300 Multia systems upto the biggest
workstations) uses normal parity (36bit) parity ram, and does ECC error
detection/correction. Linux/Alpha reports ECC messages in the normal
system logs. For more information about Linux/Alpha see the FAQ at
http://www.azstarnet.com/~axplinux

/mikael