Re: InfoWorld web server shootout

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:04:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Malcolm Beattie wrote:
> You're clearly
> aware that going straight from the page cache via mmap/write is a big
> win but you claim that you have to pay for the mapping so much that
> you'd need to cache it. Have you verified/benchmarked that or is it
> just a gut feeling (or perhaps tested on other Unices)?

See <http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/SOFTWARE/APACHE/index.html> for an example
mmap patch against 1.0.5 and some discussion. Also consider that the web
caching folks (and my own observations) tell us that most files are 6k.
That makes it a low priority on the List.

It would be easy to make a mod_mmap which has a */* handler. If someone
has the time/inclination to do so I'd love to see it. I've got way too
much on my List right now though.

Dean