Re: SCSI and hot-pluggable systems..... <sigh>

Joel Philip Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 10:49:12 -0700 (PDT)

My ups (APC Smart-UPS 1400) and most of the other ones around here
includeing our BEST ferrups 7000va have serial ports so I expect you'd
probably want to do this in userspace. On mine I just have a null modem
cable connected to it and I can watch the status with kermit.

joelja

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > What's the status on UPS (uninteruptable power system) support? Can
> > linux read commands from ANY UPS systems? (eg: Power is about to
> > fail).
>
> Hmm, my friend (mj) wrote support for this for one particular ups in 5
> minutes ;-).
>
> > Or perhaps this is a power-management deal.
> > Comment: If this IS APM-based, APM in non-laptops is GOOD to have!
> > (required in laptops!)
> > Just a pet peeve.... but it's a manufacturer problem (nonstandard APM)
> > rather than a linux problem.
>
> Look at that card and write it. 5 minutes after you get know how that
> UPS signalization works.
>
> --
> --
> I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. Pavel
> Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@oregon.uoregon.edu
ANTC & NSRC joelja@ns.uoregon.edu
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage