Re: "obsolete" hardware

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:21:41 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, yuri mironoff wrote:

> Give me a break - how many people are running Linux routers??? And
> before there is a slew of "I do"s - percentage wise! MOST of the time
> you want horsepower - not the ability to route.

Oh yeah?

> Again my point is not to waste time developing for obsolete
> hardware.

You spend your time developing for what you want. Let others do
what they want. What's your problem?

> I am more concerned about the current situation with the "can't
> get a free page", SMP lockups and the Adaptec timeouts - I'm experiencing
> all of the above. I know there are people spending their precious time
> fixing this - but I would hate to hear that any of this would wind up
> on the backburner because of 386 support. I would be willing to
> bet quite a bit of money that there are more AIC7XXX in use out there
> than 386s. The same for goes for SMP machines.

If people aren't doing what you want, don't try and bully them - they'll
just think you are an asshole and ignore you (or flame you). Try paying
them to do what you want. This tends to have a much more beneficial
effect - from your point of view :-).

> Let me also put it in a financial perspective. Our company is
> developing a distributed IDE. It so happens that Linux is the target
> platform. I would hate to explain to my boss that the bright side of
> the situation is that "Linux works on a 386".

So you are trying to bully people into doing kernel development work
to support your business but aren't willing to pay the going rate
for contractors at that level. Gee... tough... :-)

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |