Re: 2.1.41 lockup

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Fri, 30 May 1997 09:02:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Daniel G. Linder wrote:

>torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) writes:
>>> 2.1.40 (and a lot of the 2.1.3x series) have a really nasty hole in the
>>> slab allocator which affects anything that uses kmalloc() or the slab
>>> interfaces in really nasty ways. Try out 2.1.41 if that would fix this
>>> for you,
>
> I don't know if this is related, but starting about the 2.1.39 kernel
>and getting worse now that I jumped to 2.1.41, my system (P-166, 40MB RAM,
>3c509 card, running X11/MetroX, RedHat 4.1, Netscape 3.01) will lockup
>hard and require the power switch. This appears to be similar to the
>network/graphics/mouse bug that I think someone reported earlier. There
>is nothing noted in the logs (/var/log/messages). The system did hang
>hard once when it was in text mode, but there was no core dump or "screen
>of death" to get information from. Anyone else experiencing this or have
>words of wisdom?

Yes. I have the same lockup problem using Netscape 3.01 with XFree 3.2
compiled from Debian. I use a Intel Pentium 166MHz too with 32MB RAM. The
video card is a S3 Trio 64 with 2048k RAM used in 1600x1280x256. My kernel
is compiled no SMP. The problem cames from [2.1.38] and is not resolved
yet in [pre-2.1.42-2].

I can reproduce the lock opening pages with large jpg using a lot of
session of Netscape 3.01 at the same time.

All works fine with all other software.

I am working to fix it, but I am a beginner......

Please someone help us, if you make a patch I can test if it works...

Andrea Arcangeli
arcangeli@mbox.queen.it