Re: VMS-style Virtual Terminals.

Fri, 30 May 1997 00:46:59 +0100 (BST)

On 29 May 1997 TIGRANA@dstiuk.ccmail.compuserve.com wrote:

> Dear Linux Kernel Community,

[...]
> a) prevent losing ctty for the process.
> b) allow to reconnect to the old session later similar to the way VMS allows to
> attach to interactive session on next login.

That would be what screen does ...

> I am aware of ttysnoop that allows to connect to any session (that was
> started by ttysnoops) but if the controlling terminal is lost then there is
> not much ttysnoop can do.

Nope, wasn't designed to do that ...

> On a STREAMS-based UNIX I [...]

*Cough* *sputter* STREAMS !?!?!? *cough* *choke*

> On the Linux-specific side I was thinking about hacking the telnetsnoopd to
> ingnore the fact that the client side of the telnet socket is closed and keep
> the pseudo-tty alive so that ttysnoop client could connect to it and resume the
> session.

Hmm, would still be what screen is for (unless you want to reattach
someone elses session, but you wouldn't want to do that now, would you).
Screen has the advantage of being totally platform independant, and able
to pull live sessions here over the network (and optionally close the
terminal), and to reconnect running sessions here, there, and anywhere.

> Thanks in advance,
> Tigran A. Aivazian.

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.