Re: semi-offtopic - new kernel script watcher:

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
30 May 1997 00:36:37 GMT

Followup to: <199705290911.FAA20562@puck.nether.net>
By author: Jared Mauch <jared@puck.nether.net>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Please let me know if you have any questions about this..
> basically it's a *TRULY* ugly hack that watches for a new
> kernel to appear and will send you e-mail if it notices a new version.
>
> THis is totally unsupported and should really be written in C to
> be done "properly". Please heed my note about not running this
> more than once every 10 minutes as a minimum, you can cause ftp servers
> to do bad things if they get too many connections at once, and think
> they're being syn flooded by lots of folks.. I'd recommend croning
> it at some random time interval once an hour such as:
>
> 27 * * * * /yourhome/yourname/kernel.watcher
>
> So that not everyone in the world crons their kernel watcher
> for exactly the 0th minute of every hour.
>
> I'll support this for about a week or two, then it's up to
> you.. I'll probally get motivated enough to write this in C by then.

NO, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!

If you have to poll, use "finger"; however, Linus and I are working on
an automated set of mailing lists, kernel-patch and kernel-announce
which will transmit kernel patches and automated announcement of
kernel patches, respectively.

Thanks,

-hpa

--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key