[offtopic] Re: New UseNet Gateway under construction

Jared Mauch (jared@puck.nether.net)
Tue, 27 May 1997 21:07:39 -0400 (EDT)

Christoph Lameter boldly claimed:
> >Start an entire new news hierarchy if you wish, that exists _only_ in
> >Usenet and does not have any mailing list subset or origin. But I
> >think it will just meet the same fate that the comp.os.linux.*
> >hierarchy sees outside of the announce group, it is utterly useless
> >for discussion. The only way to pick out the signal from the noise is
> >to use facilities such as those provided by dejanews.com, and that is
> >really fucking sad...
>
> Ok. That is the current situation after the initial complaints.
>
> I would like to have the content of the mailing
> lists somehow available. Can I simply zero out the headers and post it
> like that?
>
> I have used the linux.* in the past with good success especially if I am
> getting into areas that I have not read up on.
>
> Do you know who is the "owner" of the linux.* newgroups? If you are would
> you let me take them over?

Someone at this site: ratatosk.yggdrasil.com, way back when, we
started feeding linux.* to and from this site, I don't have the e-mail address
of the contact there anymore, but they were the folks doing the
e-mail->news gateway originally. Nobody can really stop anyone from
doing this type of gateway, but I suspect that David will remove those
addresses from the list once he notices them, which is up to his
discretion as list manager.

- jared

--
jared@CIC.Net - CICNET --------- jared@Nether.Net - Nether Network
"I've got a question"  "What is it?" "An interrogative expression often used