Re: SCSI + Cdwriter pb

Derrik Pates (dpates@wind.mes.umn.edu)
Fri, 23 May 1997 11:40:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Mr Aouana Mohamed (dit) Boussaad wrote:

> hi
> i've an adaptect aha-2940 BIOS v1.00 with a cdwriter PHLIPS CDD 2600,
> when i switch on the computer i've the folowing:
> << ctrl-a for scsi-select ...>>
> scsi id #4 - PHILIPS CDD-2600
>
> BIOS Not installed!
>
> on the document it says that i should have!
> BIOS installed successfully!
>
> is it a scsi card problem?

There's no boot device on the SCSI chain. It doesn't need to install the
BIOS, therefore it doesn't.

> The linux recongise the cd normally, but says the drive is read-only
> even i use -o rw with the mount command...

You can't mount a CDR drive read write. The SCSI CD-ROM support prevents
it. To write a CD, you need a CD-writing package and SG (SCSI generic
device) support. I believe cdrutils (or something like that) and x-cdroast
is a good way to go.

Derrik Pates
dpates@wind.mes.umn.edu