Re: 'System is too big' is becoming a problem

Werner Almesberger (almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch)
Sat, 17 May 1997 22:13:01 +0200 (MET DST)

yuri mironoff wrote:
> What is the point in having "zImage" at all? Why not build "bzImage"
> by default? Is there any advantage to the former?

Older versions of LILO or LOADLIN can only load "zImage"s. By defaulting
to "zImage", we don't create surprises for users of older versions of
those boot loaders. Of course, since the "b" versions are kind of becoming
mandatory these days for non-modularized kernels anyway, the compatibility
argument is getting weak, so we might as well change the default in 2.1
now.

- Werner

P.S. I expect to have the next version of LILO (which will compile cleanly
under 2.1) ready in about three weeks. Sorry for the delay, but I'm
rather busy with other stuff these days ...

 / Werner Almesberger, DI-LRC,EPFL,CH   werner.almesberger@lrc.di.epfl.ch /
/_IN_R_133__Tel_+41_21_693_6621__Fax_+41_21_693_6610_____________________/