Re: Alpha 500 vs Bi Ppro.

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 15 May 1997 23:04:22 +0200 (MET DST)

Elliot Lee wrote:
> > you mean you actually have two pentium pro processors? I ask simply
> > because I've never seen it written that way. That would make a big
> > difference as well. Get two alpha chips and the alpha would probably win.
> > Or try something besides compiling code.
>
> That doesn't make any sense. At some point you MUST execute compiled code,
> whether you are executing the program itself or the interpreter... An
> interpreter will almost always be slower, independant of platform.

My favorite benchmark is "compile the kernel". As Gcc requires lots
more CPU time to generate alpha-code, some people argue that this is
not a valid test. When all I'm interested in is compile performance
because I'm developing on the machine it may be a valid test after
all, but if I'm going to run e.g. "latex" on a regular basis, then the
results of the compile jobs matter.

Roger.