RE: gdb hangs 2.1.37 - strace same effect

Meino Christian Cramer (root@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de)
Thu, 15 May 1997 20:07:38 -0000 (???)

On 14-May-97 Alex Kiernan wrote:
>Hopeless bug report I'm afraid (since I've no info at all - none of
>the magic keys would generate any output), but using gdb on a simple
>program, setting a breakpoint, then running, hangs the machine. I can
>still switch VCs, but thats it. 100% reproducible here.
>
>--
>Alex Kiernan - alex@hisoft.co.uk
>HiSoft Systems, The Old School, Greenfield, Bedford, MK45 5DE, UK
>http://www.hisoft.co.uk Tel: +44 1525 718181 Fax: +44 1525 713716

Got the same effect: gdb stops not only the program to be debugged
at a breakpoint -- the whole kernel refuses to done anything
more if the program stops at the breakpoint.

Strace is more effective: It needs no breakpoints to stop the kernel...

;-)

(no sarkasm! only a little bit astonished about such an "fundamental"
side-effect :-)

By the way: No trace of any debugging/oops/something in the syslog-file.

KEEP HACKING!
meino
...who dances with modems... ;-)
E-Mail: Meino Christian Cramer <root@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de>