Binfmt_misc (was: Re: Problems with Race condition)

Richard Guenther (zxmpm11@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 15 May 1997 14:18:57 +0200 (METDST)

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Hans Lermen wrote:

> On Thu, 15 May 1997, Richard Guenther wrote:
>
> > The stress test procedure I use is to concurrently add, remove and cat
> > the status of entries from binfmt_misc.
>
> Well, this test situation isn't likely to happen under realistic conditions.
> ( this is why in fact I never run into a race with binfmt_misc )
> You will register a binfmt only once at bootup in your /etc/rc*, will you?
> ... and this normally doesn't run concurrently ;-)
Yes, but if it doesn't crash in such conditions either, its even better.

> Other than that, "binfmt_misc" is GREAT and deserves a place in the
> mainstream kernels. The latest (not yet released) dosemu will make use
> of it for it's new DEXE format.
And it has now the feature (as requested by several people) to recognize
filename extensions a'la .com or .bat.

Get it from
http://www.anatom.uni-tuebingen.de/~richi/linux/binfmt_misc.html

Richard.