Re: your mail

Thomas Pornin (bip@nostromo.ens.fr)
Mon, 12 May 1997 17:36:58 +0200

In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970512181200.9292K-100000@beta.niimm.spb.su> you write:
>On Mon, 12 May 1997, Regis Duchesne wrote:
>>> Problem : Volume control change without any actions.
>>Do you compile your sound driver as a module? In this case, this is a
>>known bug. Your module has probably been unloaded by kerneld and when you
>>have to play a sound again, it reset the volume at a high value.
>
>So, the only solution is to recompile kernel with builtin sound support ?
>In my case this can make kernel too bif :(

Maybe not. In the modutils-2.1.34, read the file kerneld/README.kerneld
(especially the part at the end about the "persist" extension). This
should do what you want, if the soud driver supports this, of course.

However, the builtin sound support is the safe solution. If the kernel is
too big, try "make bzImage" (if you have linux on a PC).

--Thomas Pornin