Re: Out of memory kernel death

Mike Kilburn (mike@conexio.co.za)
Fri, 9 May 1997 22:05:30 +0200 (SAT)

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Raul Miller wrote:

> Dunno if this has been pointed out clearly on linux-kernel yet, but:
> how about largest process with no running child processes?

The idea of killing processes to get memory must include a way
for the admin to configure which process are important as this
is highly system dependent. People use Linux in a lot of custom
applications where maybe httpd is less/more important than X or
users shells and so forth. For example lets say I have a system that
manages a large network of modem racks via SNMP with a simple httpd
interface for viewing stats and alarms. If memory is a problem then I
rather the httpd's died and even inetd before I lose one child monitoring
a rack.