Re: SMP Linux-37-5

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 8 May 1997 14:00:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> The pre-patch 37-5 works to make a SMP machine that boots!
>
> Linux quark 2.1.37 #3 Thu May 8 14:14:58 EDT 1997 i586
>
> I will now put in the new aic7xxx.c driver to see if that stops the
> occasional hang that I still get.

I have found a reason for some occasional hangs (this reason is hopefully
_the_ reason, but we'll see). My rw-lock implementation had a misfeature
wrt local interrupts (the rwlock implementation did actually work
correctly, but required local interrupts to be disabled for readlocks, and
that was a misfeature).

I'll have a 2.1.37-6 out really soon now with this fixed, once I make it
go through my torture-tests.

Linus