Re: NMI errors in 2.0.30??

Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.OIT.IUPUI.EDU)
Thu, 08 May 1997 07:25:21 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Leonard N. Zubkoff wrote:

> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 21:40:44 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@analogic.com>
[deletia]
> In every case, there isn't really anything that the operating system
> can do to "recover" from a RAM error. In some machines like VAXen,
> the kernel will map out any bad RAM found. The task that was using
> this RAM gets killed, but the system continues. This area of RAM
> will not be reused until the system is rebooted. VAXen use 512-byte
> pages.

Yeah, this is one of the things I really miss about VMS. I wouldn't mind
losing a process now and then as long as it would *take the bad page with
it*. I could restart and have some hope of completing my task. Plus I
would get a record in the error log pointing me to the bad physical
address, so I'd know which SIMM to replace.

Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer MWOOD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU Those who
will not learn from history are doomed to reimplement it.