Re: Static naming schemes for devices/partitions (was: SCSI disk devices)

J. Sean Connell (ankh@canuck.gen.nz)
Mon, 5 May 1997 17:34:23 +1200 (NZST)

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:

> Main problem with this - What about IDE?
>
> Those drives don't count? Any labeling scheme should be kernel based. I
> would recommend handling the scsi naming versus the labeling issue
> separately.

With IDE, the slave drive (in my humble experience) would always be
hdb, and the master (or sole) drive would be hda.

Sure, that's assuming that you only have one bus, but the first drive on
the second bus is hdc, the first drive on the third is hde, etc.

--
J. S. Connell      | Systems Adminstrator, ICONZ.  Any opinions stated above
ankh@canuck.gen.nz | are not my employers', not my boyfriends', my God's, my